Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Big Three Zero...

30 years ago today, I came kicking and screaming into this world, a bit early, very thin, and slightly yellow.

None of those terms would be used to describe me now!

I am going to have a look at some of the highlights, and then later some of the low lights.

1) Jesus: Yep, number one. Spring Harvest, early nineties, altar call at the youth meeting. The overwhelming joy of knowing I had been forgiven for, and set free of the eternal consequences of my sinful nature. Such joy.

2) Esther: I don't believe in karma. I can't. When a bloke like me finds such an exceedingly amazing lady then it must be grace in action.

3) Family: My family has quirks as all families do. I am one of them. But we do care for each other. We understand generosity and kindness. Mum and Dad have stayed together 40 years, the family home has been a place of safety, and my brother is a legend.

4) Friends: I have a birthday meal coming up, and interestingly, I have known many of my friends for ten years or more. That is pretty special. Last night we had a night in a local bar and 50-60 showed up, mostly my age group from Church. Some of my closest friends are like brothers and my brother is a closest friend. I am blessed.

5) Church: My Church experience has been both safe and life changing, challenging and caring. Newfrontiers, Vineyard, Soul Survivor, Spring Harvest all take their place in the patchwork quilt of development. Bible believing, charismatic, outreach, ministry to the poor. My values have been shaped by the various churches and movements I have belonged to.

6) Travel: Only South America and Antarctica remain as unvisited continents. I have been priviledged to see some amazing things and meet some great people. A network of friends around the globe is a priviledge, as is seeing the church function in different cultures and languages, and facebook helps too.

7) Education: Free education, a university place, (opportunities I received from my passport rather than merit) have given me a fabulous start in life and have helped to make me who I am.

Psalm 72 sums up how this all makes me feel rather well:

18 Praise be to the LORD God, the God of Israel,
who alone does marvelous deeds.

19 Praise be to his glorious name forever;
may the whole earth be filled with his glory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

(30 was great, 50 is even better)

PamBG said...

Happy birthday.

Well, you do seem to have a hint of Amber....

Enjoy.

Fat Prophet said...

and there was I thinking you were just 21!!