Monday 4 August 2008

Piper on "prosperity"

Just in case I didn't clarify my thinking enough in this post: "Prosperity Gospel"

I thought I would share this video of a clip of a John Piper sermon.



In 1707 a non conformist from Southampton in his early thirties expressed something of his heart to God. Well, we have just broken 300 years later, three centuries have come and gone, and I still don't think he could have penned truer words. He did not write it in relation to prosperity teaching, but my goodness he could have done.

I will leave the rest to Isaac Watts...

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it Lord, that I should boast
Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

2 comments:

Jongudmund said...

You know the funny thing, Dave, is that once you start laying out your beliefs, you then have to defend them.

It's the whole 'why do people bash complementarians?' blog post again...

On the plus side, you do get comments.

Phil Whittall said...

Here's some more Piper on this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPzFGSL2Sw