Sunday 15 March 2009

Worship songs that changed my life: NUMBER ONE

Number one, and not even a proper worship song!

Kevin Prosch: "Love is all you need" This song is a definiton of "rough diamond". Jagged, edgy, and so, so, precious.


Have you ever hurt inside,
Feel like you could lose your mind?
You tell no one, you sit and cry
On the brink of suicide
You convince yourself inside
Maybe here there are no spies
Nothing tempers this heart as grief
I've seen blackbirds die like priests

They go,
love is all you need
All you need is love
love is all you need
All you need is love

Hey hey preacher man shut your mouth
All that talks coming straight from your head
You can't love no one
You can't even love yourself
And you've got the heart of a mannequin
You need to reach out from beyond your border fence
Come out from hiding behind the parsonage
Show them people the same mercy that you need
hey, preacher man, tell them love is all you need

love is all you need

All you need is love
love is all you need
All you need is love

I went to the place where dead men pray
Love forsaken, I was so afraid
When suddenly the leaves were around
Like pheasants flying these angels came down
She said where is hope? What is truth? And do you know peace?
As we walked through the graveyard of needles on the street
Lord they wouldn't need this if only they could see
Tell them love, love, love is love is the key

love is all you need
All you need is love
love is all you need
All you need is love

I met a man who walked alone
He wept upon those public roads
He placed his eyes upon my heart
Saw that I had missed the stirring of the water
He looked into my childhood scars
Like a candle on a written page
And from your guilt he said I could be free
Maybe my love is all you need

love is all you need

All you need is love
love is all you need
All you need is love

As he breaks into singing in tongues at the end you understand the love he is talking about.

It is just so edgy, so raw, so vulnerable. Kevin later fell into adultery that cost him a huge chunk of his ministry, and he has now been through a restoration process. Somehow, by some bizarre exchange, actually validates this song even further. He knew he was a sinner. He knew where his only hope was. He knew his future rested in God's grace, not his merit.

The only MP3 clip I can find is via Cross Rythms here.

This is the song I want at my funeral. When I die I want people to know two things: God loves them, and so did I.

Even now, 15 years after I first heard it, I can sit down, close my eyes, and just be overcome by the weight of the love of God. You can almost touch it.

You can feel the pain in his heart about judgemental christendom. And then it finishes with.

" And from your guilt he said I could be free
Maybe my love is all you need"

and this is the gospel in two lines, that wraps up the whole of the song and the vulnerability and complexity of our existence and takes it to the cross, where all we need is found, as the greatest love is shown.

No comments: